Pellet quality is important, please read the following: Your Wolf Steel Ltd. Pellet Appliance has been designed to burn premium hard or soft wood pellets only. Do not use any other type of fuel such as fire logs or fire starting pellets. The performance and heat output of the pellet appliance is directly related to the quality and moisture of the pellets. Store pellets in a cool dry area to prevent moisture absorption. If the fuel does not comply to this standard the appliance may not operate as designed. We recommend the use of premium grade (1% ash content) for longer appliance life and less frequent cleaning.
Vent free gas fireplaces, gas stoves and log sets are not legal for use in Canada.
Upon changing the batteries in the remote and the receiver, it may be necessary to replace the remote system. Remote systems are warrantied for one year.
- If you have an existing wood fireplace you may be looking for a gas or wood insert. Bring all dimensions of the fireplace cavity (width x height x depth) along with the depth of the lintel (the thickness of the material that crosses above the fireplace opening). Also bring photos of the fireplace inside and outside of the building.
- If you do not have an existing fireplace then you may be looking for a free standing stove. For wood stoves, measure the diameter of the wall thimble (opening into the chimney) and bring a picture of the outside chimney.
- If you are looking for a freestanding gas stove, bring a picture of the preferred location along with one of that location from the outside of the house.
- If you are interested in a factory built wood burning fireplace to be built into a wall. Bring a photo of the wall where you intend to have the fireplace installed along with a photo of the outside where the venting will be located. A picture of the roof above this location would also be useful.
- If you are interested in a gas burning fireplace to be built into a wall or enclosed in a cabinet bring a photo of the wall where you intend to have the fireplace installed along with a photo of the outside where the venting will be located.
- Do you want gas ,wood or electric fireplace.
- Do you want this fireplace for heat for its aesthetic value or both.
- If you want it to heat, how large is the room (width, length and height) it is to be installed into. Is the room well insulated. How many outside doors or windows are in the room?
- Will the fireplace be installed in the basement, main or second floor.
- Do you want a traditional or a modern contemporary look for your new fireplace?
- If it is to be installed on the floor then what material is covering the floor?
- Is the fireplace to be located flat on the wall or in a corner and will it sit at floor level or do you want a raised hearth.
- What type of finishing do you want around the fireplace? Wood mantel, stone or tile.
- For gas fireplaces stoves or inserts determined the nearest location of the gas supply in your home and the distance to the new fireplace.
- Is there an electrical source close to the new fireplace location.
- Determine distances from windows , doors and gas supply close to where the terminal vent will be located on the outside of the home.
- Type of wall construction in your home where vent will penetrate.
- If venting through the roof you should know the type. Pictures of the general area where the vent will penetrate can also be helpful.
- Single or two storey chimney and is it inside or outside your home.
- Have as many photos of your home available to convey your ideas along with pictures from magazines of fireplaces you like.
Authorized dealers of Napoleon Fireplaces are identified on our 'Where to Buy' page. They are there to answer all of your questions, ensure that your fireplace is properly installed as well as providing a regular service program to protect your investment. Napoleon recommends an annual inspection of your gas fireplace or gas stove and that you call the store directly if you are requiring servicing. The requirement of annual inspection and/or service is dictated in the National Fuel Codes for both Canada and the United States.
Yes! All of our gas fireplaces (except The Torch - GT8) incorporate a self generating millivolt system that operates independently from any outside electrical current. Only accessories such as blowers and some hand held remotes rely on house current for power and our fireplaces do perform effectively, even without them.
Unfortunately, no. All of our fireplaces are sold through dealers who are trained to provide you the very best service available. This is the best method that we as a manufacturer can employ, to ensure that your fireplace is best suited to your needs and that it is installed and serviced properly.
Note:You can use the 'Where to Buy' Dealer Locator at the top of every page on this Website to find your nearest Napoleon Dealer.
Yes! all of our gas fireplaces must have the ability to shut off the flow of gas if there is no flame to burn it off. This is where the self generating millivolt system comes in. The millivolts energize a magnetic coil within the gas valve which holds the valve open. Should the pilot flame extinguish, the millivolts will stop generating, releasing the coil and closing the gas valve. Every Napoleon fireplace we manufacture is tested prior to shipping to ensure a 100% effective system.
Maximum steady state efficiency is determined by specific test conditions that include burning the fireplace until the fireplace and flue gas (exhaust) temperatures reach equilibrium, which means that there is no further change in temperatures. Temperatures, taken from a specific location, reflect the amount of heat being exhausted, which is then subtracted from the predetermined input of the burner. The remaining amount of heat represents the highest amount of heat that the fireplace can transfer into the surrounding area. Example, our natural gas stove, the GDS50 has a BTU input of 44,000 BTU. The maximum efficiency is 84%. 44,000 x 84% = 36,960 BTU output.
The internet is an outstanding means of gathering information and sourcing a local authorized Napoleon dealer from whom the purchase should always be made. Long distance purchasing over the internet is NOT the avenue to obtain a fireplace - any apparent savings may soon be consumed in freight damage, installation charges and service calls which would no longer be covered under warranty.
Only your local dealer is aware of building and gas code requirements within your area and only your local authorized Napoleon dealer can assure your satisfaction by installing it correctly, explaining its function adequately and deal with inspection, service and warranty issues.
Our Phazer® logs are produced by a unique process where ceramic fibers are melded together in the form of a variety of log shapes. They are then hand painted and accented to create the most realistic looking logs available. The properties of the ceramic fibers allow the logs to withstand the extreme temperatures that they are exposed to within the combustion chamber of the fireplace. It is for this reason that our Phazer® logs are guaranteed for life!
All of our wood stoves and fireplaces require a chimney, either a masonry or A vent stainless steel chimney. The diameter of the chimney must match the size of the fireplace flue collar to effectively vent the products of combustion. Consequently, an existing chimney may need to be lined with a stainless steel liner to meet venting requirements of a specific fireplace. Gas fireplaces that fall under the category of B vent or natural draft fireplaces, also require either a chimney that is lined with a flexible aluminum or stainless steel liner, or they can be vented using B vent if no chimney exists. Direct vented or vent free fireplaces do not require a traditional chimney.